‘Sugar and spice and all things vintage-inspired – that’s what little girls rooms are made of.’ Well, that is our approach when it comes to decorating girls’ bedrooms with vintage pieces and antique furniture. A feminine designer touch and a love for some weathered whimsical sophistication become the individuality that will magically transform any little girl’s space.
The juxtaposition of vintage or antique furniture in a modern space brings a calming balance that is inviting, personalised and timeless. And what better place to add these vintage pieces that tell a story than in a little girl’s bedroom?
Placing the right antique or vintage statement pieces in a modern setting is not only an art form but will give new life to any room’s decor.
A touch of vintage pink and gold – and of course, a little sparkle – is all it takes to give a little girl the bedroom of her dreams.
A touch of pink and white
Of course, when considering a vintage piece to add to a girl’s bedroom, it doesn’t have to be pink. But the softness and gentleness of pastel pink for a sleeping space is sure to entice some fairy dust and lullabies. Pink is also a wonderful ‘neutral’ complementary colour to so many other shades – grey, white navy, back, blue, green and yellow.
- An antique or vintage settee or chair – A little gilded settee or a French chair, reupholstered in a pastel pink fabric, will be the invitation to spend a while in any bedroom. (At the Crown Collection, our onsite upholstery service provides top-quality re-upholstery solutions in most finishes and in the fabric of your choice).
- White or bleached items – a pink palette’s absolute delight is white furniture options – from the bed and dressing table to a French-style armoire or chest of draws. (It really is ok to paint antique furniture and give it a fresh upcycled look. Whatever the finish, we can achieve that for you – from French polishing, hand gilding, paint techniques, bleaching and staining).
- Kists and trunks – Space is often limited in little girls’ bedrooms and creative storage solutions are required. Cue vintage trunks or antique kists – the versatile and functional options for storing toys, dress-up clothes and extra shoes and clothing (as she grows).
The Midas touch
All that glitters in a little girl’s room belongs in the realm of golden touches and gilded edges. This is where vintage pieces truly come into their own, adding an unmatched romantic statement.
- Gilded mirrors – Vintage mirrors are the obvious place to start and every little girl’s bedroom needs an ornamental mirror – for twirling, curling and make-up. (We did an entire blog on vintage mirrors as jewellery for any room). Decorative gilded antique ‘looking glasses’ – from Baroque to French chic – are a decor trend that is sticking around (and will make any bedroom Instagram-worthy).
- Gilded occasional chairs – As little girls grow, they may want to leave the pink girliness behind and embrace bolder vintage statement pieces in the form of gilded occasional chairs. There are so many styles to choose from; it all comes down to preference, space and budget to find a vintage chair that is just right for the space. From French gilded armchairs and Bergere Style chairs to the elegance of gilded rattan back armchairs, there is a chair to suit any girl’s bedroom.
- Gilded ottomans – Round or rectangular, ottomans are a delightful and fun addition to any bedroom. A gilded twist is a perfect balance to the plushness of the deep-buttoned upholstery choices. Use as bedside tables, dressing table stools or simple accent pieces – perfect for growing princesses.
A touch of sparkle
No girl’s room is complete until it boasts a little vintage bling – the pièce de résistance items that define a ‘girls only’ space and add the much-needed sparkle.
- Chandeliers – Who doesn’t love an antique chandelier? Antique or vintage chandeliers are the simplest way of adding the wow factor to a bedroom, especially when set against a modern backdrop. Diamonds may be a girls’ best friend, but we are proposing that chandeliers are the decor equivalent.
- Objets d’art – When little girls grow up, a little bit of decadent sparkle and specialness starts with a curated collection of vintage or antique objets d’art and decorative accessories – Victorian perfume bottles, an Edward VII scent bottle, an Elizabeth II photo frame, a handheld mirror, or a silver dish to hold jewellery.
The Crown Collection touch
The inspiration for creating a bedroom fit for a princess that seamlessly boasts vintage pieces or antique furniture starts at The Crown Collection – an emporium that showcases more than 5000 pieces of handpicked French, antique and vintage items. It’s all about having fun and repurposing pieces of history to fit our modern interiors.
Shop online or in-store at our studio (20 Ballyclare Drive, Bryanston).